Wednesday, March 3, 2010

You find this ugly


Along the footpaths of Kings Cross along Darlinghurst Rd there are over 100 brass plaques to various things, this one caught my eye. Kenneth Slessor, a Sydney Poet, lived near here and these lines refer to his poem - William Street written in 1935.
Here is the last verse, I hope you know about dips and molls ...

The dips and molls, with flip and shiny gaze
(death at their elbows, hunger at their heels)
Ranging the pavements of their pasturage;
You find this ugly, I find it lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Both Slessor and Lawson ranged that ridge albeit with 30 odd years between them. They both looked upon the tawdriness with much affection. I posted about Lawon here http://sydney-eye.blogspot.com/2010/01/aimless-wander-darlinghurst.html

    My son is working down in Challis Ave at the moment. I must go for a wander down there - but only during the day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Your feedback is welcome!