On the tracks at Glenlee looking at the impressive colonial houses left in this area about 56km to the south west of Sydney. Glenlee House was built by magistrate William Howe in 1824. It was purchased by the Macarthur Development Board in 1978 who restored it. William Howe was born in Scotland, In 1813 he joined the 1st Royal Scots Regiment as an ensign and took part in the Napoleonic wars. He left the army in 1815 and in July 1816 arrived in New South Wales as a free settler with his wife an four children. In January 1818 Lachlan Macquarie granted Howe 3000 acres which he named Glenlee.
On the grounds of St Josephs Hospital is this lovely building:
'Duncraggan Hall built by John Buchanan, of Scottish descent, who migrated to Sydney with his family in 1842. He eventually became a timber merchant and in 1883 bought land which was part of the Chisholm Estate at Auburn. On this land he built Duncraggan Hall, taking up residence in 1887. In 1892, however, he sold the Auburn property to the Sisters of Charity and to Duncraggan Hall they transferred St Joseph’s Hospital from Parramatta where it had been established in 1886 as St Joseph’s Consumptive Hospital.' Sisters of St Joseph website.